February 24, 2011

For Amy


I was reading this book to Lilly and I couldn't help but think of you when I came to this part....
"Today," laughs the Bird, "eat whatever you want. Today no one tells you you cawnt or you shawnt. And, today, you don't have to be tidy or neat. If you wish, you may eat with both hands and both feet. So get in there and munch. Have a big munch-er-oo! Today is your birthday! Today you are you!
(Taken from Happy Birthday To You! by Dr. Seuss)

It made me think of you because we share a passion for FOOD. Oh, you are by far the funnest person I have ever and will ever cook with. I have so many memories of us making and devouring yummy mouth-watering food together.

If I were with you today on your special day I would make you this...

(It's missing a dollop of ice cream.)
Country Apple Dumplings

Ingredients

2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew ™

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew™ over the dumplings.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

We would maybe use a fork or a spoon to eat, but maybe not. I wouldn't put it past us to use both hands AND both feet!!!

After we enjoyed this delicious treat, I think we'd curl up on the couch and watch this...


Every time I see this movie I think of you. She just does what is right and she has a huge heart. Just like my sister, Amy.

After the movie we'd sit and chat about memories like the time I cried so hard at your house I stained the carpet with my mascara...(Sorry about that.) Or maybe about the mystery of the stinkiness coming from my room that one time. I still laugh when I think one tiny brussel sprout could make such a stink. We could talk about our trip to Disney World or Myrtle Beach, but you know what my all-time favorite memories are? The little moments. I remember us driving in the car one time with the fire flies flickering magically in the white picked fenced fields and we weren't saying anything at all. Just pure silence and comfort between us. I remember us laughing so hard too. Remember making up silly songs while we cooked or gave the girls a bath? Remember when I came home from a date and I was kissed for the first time? We laughed and laughed.... I've shared some of my sweetest moments with you Amy. I wouldn't have it any other way.


After we talked about our memories I'd give you a very fun wrapped present.



Lastly, you'd get a signature Erica massage. (And I wouldn't even ask for one back.)

I hope one day very soon---we can celebrate our birthday's together. Until that time...this will have to be second best.

I love you so much my sweet big sister, Amy. You truly mean the world to me.

(I was looking through some pictures and found these of the girls and this one of us at Disney World. Those were my glory days of braces for the 2nd time. :)

3 comments:

Jennie Stanfield said...

Erica, this is so sweet. Makes me cry. What a blessing sisters are! Love you.

ALB said...

Erica,

Just imagining my Birthday with you makes me SMILE! Us in the kitchen :), Us watching a great flick:), You giving me that fabulous coin purse and mini bag . . . delightful and fun in every way! I love all of it, and mostly my memories and time with you. You mean so much to all of us and I am looking forward to more time spent together in the future . . . and perhaps some birthdays in the future. Being together is the best treat of all! I love you so - Thank you for the thoughtful gifts, the fun time remembering, and your goodness. <3 A

Anonymous said...

he actual Oughout Benjamin Pineda Gomez stated he previously zero name or even information about the person who diedDressed up in the olive airfare Ed Hardy go well with in addition to helmet, the actual emporer who is minute inside series towards the throne satisfied the large chopper on the Nike Air Max normal water many times throughout an hour or so Two of this alerts faulted the organization for the crisis reply and pipe deterioration Ed Hardy Shop Corporation spokesperson Alan Jeffers explained there was zero primary association amongst people problems and also the direction failureIn DALVAY BY-THE-SEA, Prince Edward Area (AP) Burberry cheap Prince Bill enjoyed showing his or her army heli-copter instruction with his first-ever h2o landing Saturday to the pleasure involving nervous throngs in Canada, Cheap Air Max exactly where he / she with his fantastic better half, Kate, have been getting their first recognized international excursion considering that the weddingOhydratesTransport Section Air Max 2011 speaker Patricia Klinger claimed the organization features because answered the warnings as well as the circumstance seemed to be sealed The item says "testing Cheap Air Max Shoes this weibo